It’s a new month and Bitcoin is starting to warm up! The first Tuesday of every month we aim to have speaker sessions about Bitcoin to help drive education in the community. Tonight we’ll be continuing that tradition with some talks about Bitcoin’s Lightning Network from Patrick Ulrich and Vincent Davis.
We’ll be meeting at The Cellar at 6pm tonight for this week’s meetup. Please consider RSVPing for the meetup to ensure you have a seat for the event. Space is limited so priority is given to those that RSVP. When you get to The Cellar ask for the Bitcoin group or just head over to the Lansdown Room in the back. We’ll have the Meetup sign up on the end of one of the tables to help you find us.
Bitrefill has been kind enough to sponsor the first $100 dollars of drinks for tonight’s meetup. We’ll have a waitress assigned to our room so be sure to let her know you’d like to get a drink on the meetup’s tab.
6pm – Meetup
6:20 – Introduction to Lightning Network
6:45 – Break
7:00 – State of the Lightning Network
After we finish the talks there will still be some of us that sit around to talk bitcoin news and current events over drinks and food. Feel free to join us in discussions about all the latest events in the space. There’s certainly been a lot this week!
Bitcoin Metrics for 6/7
Price: $29,905 as of 739,748
Money Supply: 19,060,717.18 BTC
Percentage Issued: 90.76%
Fee Rate: 9 sat/vB
Hash Rate: 211.3 EH/s
Republican And Democratic Senators Release Bitcoin Bill
– Responsible Financial Innovation Act would redefine the U.S. government’s relationship with bitcoin
– introduced by U.S. Senators Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Cynthia Lummis (R-WY) on Tuesday morning
Human Rights Leaders Pen Letter To US Congress For Responsible Bitcoin Legislation
– 20 human rights leaders from 20 countries, including Alex Gladsein, Yeonmi Park and Farida Nabourema, penned an open letter to the U.S Congress to ask for responsible bitcoin legislation
– letter was in part a response to an anti-crypto letter recently sent to Congress that opposed the thought that bitcoin brings about positive financial innovation
PayPal Lets Users Transfer Bitcoin to External Wallets
– “Starting today, PayPal supports the native transfer of cryptocurrencies between PayPal and other wallets and exchanges,”
New York just passed a bill cracking down on bitcoin mining
– Lawmakers in New York just passed a bill to ban certain bitcoin mining operations that run on carbon-based power sources
– Governor Kathy Hochul expected to sign making New York the first state in the country to ban blockchain technology infrastructure
Gemini Security Failures to Blame for Crypto Hack, IRA Suit Says
– fund lost $36 million in Bitcoin and other alts when they lost control of their master key
Coinbase, Gemini and others cut jobs, rescind offers and pause hiring as crypto winter hits hard
– “In response to the current market conditions and ongoing business prioritisation efforts, we will extend our hiring pause for both new and backfill roles for the foreseeable future and rescind a number of accepted offers,” the Coinbase blog
SeedSigner OS Released
– The goal of this project is to make the easiest, fastest, safer and most painless way to build a custom OS that runs SeedSigner
– SeedSigner OS boots from RAM
These are just some of the topics that will be up for discussion tonight. Free free to bring any topics of discussion for the group that you find interesting! We all want to learn this journey together.
See you tonight!